Sunday, November 17, 2013

Frame

Sent the bare frame to a body shop as I suspected it had a minor twist from one or more accidents.   I was right, it did need a bit of pulling to get it back in spec.

After blasting, it needed a couple of minor cracks welded up caused by the frame straightening.  Here it is at my friends hot rod shop being TIG welded.   I can run a MIG, but, there is nothing like what TIG welds look like when performed by someone who is really skilled.


Here is the frame in the paint booth.


Here is the frame back in my garage.   The mustang should be on its way to its winter storage spot next week



Sunday, September 22, 2013

Rear Axle Housing & Differential

Rear axle housing back from the blaster and painted.  A friend of mine owns a hot rod/classic car restoration shop.     We worked out a deal that I can drop off parts and he will have one of his guys take them to the blaster and paint them along with the other parts they are working on.  


I cleaned the goop off of the differential.  The gears were a bit rusted from sitting stationary in a barn for decades.      6 or 7 teeth on the ring gear have quite a lot of rust pitting, the rest look OK.   Did some research on line, some say no big deal, run it, others say replace it.     Not sure what I will do yet.    The pinion seal is also leaking, which will have to be replaced if I run it.



Monday, September 2, 2013

Rear Axle Assembly Disassembly

Over the last few days I tore down the rear axle assembly.

Drums popped off with a "bang" using the drum puller I purchased off of e-bay.   Brake backing plates came off without incident.

One of the axles popped right out with a tap of a hammer.    I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in a piece of wood, put the brake drum bolt back on and gave the piece of wood a modest tap and out it came.




The other side was rusted and required a bit more persuasion.     I borrowed a slide hammer and used a piece of plywood, again with a 3/4 inch hole for the axle, and hammered it out.   Took many blows, and in the process I shattered 3 pieces of plywood, but, out it came.



Differential came out with only a minor issue.   Of of the captive bolts that holds the differential carrier to the axle housing came loose, so, had to cut it off with my cut off wheel.


The rear axle housing is now at the sandblaster.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Front suspension, but for the left lower control arm, has been removed from the frame.    One of the four bolts holding the control arm has some damage and will require a bit of finesse to remove.    I ran out of time today and was not able to finish it off.

I did not have a coil spring compressor, so, I borrowed one from O'Reilly's auto parts.   Their tool loan program is free.   Just put a deposit down, use the tool, return it and your deposit is refunded.   Really great for tools that you will not use often.   Worked well, and best of all, no one got hurt with a loaded spring flying across the garage.   

After I get the control arm off, next up is the rear axle and rear springs. 

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Body Removed

Yesterday, the body was removed and trailered to my storage unit.

Had eight guys enlisted to lift the body off.   Was very easy.  Could have been done with 4 guys, but, having the extra hands seemed like a good idea. 

Next will be tearing down the frame.






Sunday, January 6, 2013

Body Bracing

Over the Christmas/New Year holidays I was able to get the body bracing welded in.  Looking forward to finally getting the body off of the frame.

The bracing will eliminate the possibility of the body deforming when removed from the frame.